THE HIDDEN TRACK

The following passages are dedicated to Leopold, to the vernacular, to certain evil women (you know who you are), to certain wonderful people(they know who they are), to soft afternoons and quiet Sunday evenings, to Fall and seeing your breath for the first time since Spring, and to Isabelle Ya Feng ... a soul slipped by like two ships passing in the still, moonlit sea.
-- Abraham Ahmed, the Surfing Beatnik



To: Ms. S.C. Packard, Brighton, Mass. (2)

August 4th, 1926

Dearest Suze,
Forthwith, I should like to apologize for my lengthy delay in responding to your most gratefully received last correspondence. I will gladly offer my blameworthiness; though, it is, at times, quite the challenge to both receive and post letters as far out as we are now. I will echo, even so, that your writing does, quite undeniably, bring much cheer and warmth, and I thank you dearly for such correspondence.

The West is a breathtaking scape, with rivers moving sweet, ice-cold waters and porcelain-topped mountains cradling mammoth valleys that all seem to traverse into distances far from even imagined reaches. There is game a'plenty, and I even stood witness to my first ever viewing of a heard of buffalo! Why, there's even wild mustang spoken of, though these I have yet to observe.

In the eve, when tools are rested and all men are still, we sit 'round burning pine logs and eat sturdy meals and drink coffee. We're fed rather well; and after, we drink small rations of barrel whiskey like pioneers or dusty wild west cowboys!

A windless, late summer air has settled over our camp for the past many days, and the nights are thick and humid. I've forgone my shared tent and cot and have taken to fashioning a bedroll near one of the fires, along with several other fellows. We talk long into the darkness, staring into the stars, each sharing anecdotes or recollections of their homes and families.   

It is with shame, but I must admit: I feel as if I have near forgotten the shape of your face and hands; yet, the scent of your neck and hair remains sharp and brilliant! It is odd, no? How the mind retains these such remembrances?     

Oh, I do hope this letter will find you in good health and fanciful spirits. I pray that fortune finds you and your family and that all are in health and strong profession with the harvest seasons nearing and Fall forthcoming. I shall return in time to help with apples and fire wood, after the maples shake their leaves; and, my shadow shall fall upon your doorstep before the first snows.

With the greatest of admiration,

--O. Talbot
Post Script: As always, do say hello and please past my regards to May-Cay.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment