THE HIDDEN TRACK

The following passages are dedicated to Leopold, to the vernacular, to certain evil women (you know who you are), to certain wonderful people(they know who they are), to soft afternoons and quiet Sunday evenings, to Fall and seeing your breath for the first time since Spring, and to Isabelle Ya Feng ... a soul slipped by like two ships passing in the still, moonlit sea.
-- Abraham Ahmed, the Surfing Beatnik



The Oily Dirt Floor Cure for Mortality...


It's a smell from my childhood, from a cluttered dirt floor garage that belonged to my great grandfather. In it, and within the piles of rusty implements, faded fruit crates, and cobwebs, he parked a 1957 Pontiac Chiefton. The Pontiac shed its oil into (not onto) the dirt floor; the various implements sweat from their grease points; and, the stacks of cans and jars of various varnishes, lubricants, and crankcase fluids all released odors of their contents into the rafters of this time capsule of a place.

It was a brutal yet sweet, earthy smell. The smell of dead machinery wherein water intruded, mixed with the greasy components and rusted them to a bold red.
It was a place I often snuck into to find treasures, all against the warnings from my mother: "There's black windows galore in there, along with who-knows what else!" She'd claim.
It was the early 1980s, and the gray -board, metal roof garage, with rusted hinges and hasp at its entrance went untouched for over thirty years. All was just as he left it. A tomb.

Little is known about my great grandfather. I never met him, and the senior-most members of my family have all but erased any detailed memories to share.

I'm thirty-six now, and that ole' garage exists only in the pages of my past. But, the man who worked in it, the man who collected its innards, the man who drove that dusty Pontiac brand new off the lot in 1957... he still lives within those nostalgic smells that brush my nose every time that I, in my mid-30s, still sneak into old barns and dirt floor'd buildings and abandon structures, tombs, all of them, still in search of treasures, despite the black widows and who-knows what else.

No comments:

Post a Comment