THE HIDDEN TRACK

The following passages are dedicated to Leopold, to the vernacular, to certain evil women (you know who you are), to certain wonderful people(they know who they are), to soft afternoons and quiet Sunday evenings, to Fall and seeing your breath for the first time since Spring, and to Isabelle Ya Feng ... a soul slipped by like two ships passing in the still, moonlit sea.
-- Abraham Ahmed, the Surfing Beatnik



Soldier's Paradise...

The waitress dropped off the third pitcher of Bloody Mary and four chilled, pre-salted glasses. Within seconds, all glasses were topped off, and I was holding yet another filled glass of red, bitter, vodka-laced greatness. My head started to swirl after the first round. By the time the second was downed, I was feeling quite unprofessional. When the third found its way into my hand, I was in love with this woman who was referred to by her friends simply as “Bloody.”

With the plastic, fake, and “more of a formality” contracts negotiations luncheon over, I stumbled out of the overly extravagant bistro and hit the D.C. sidewalks just as the 2:00pm sun was highest and was scorching the panhandling bums in the nearby busy intersections. I limped along the bustling walkways, swerving in-between suited and sweaty members of congress, civil rights protesters, and D.C hipsters enroute to their beloved underground gastropubs. I stopped at a branch of Chase Bank, and I leaned my shoulder against the rough cast concrete exterior of the mighty financial castle. From my jacket pocket I pulled a pack of Camels and I lit one appreciatively. I rolled and turned my shoulder blades to the bank’s wall, and I watched the movies reel playing out before me.

From the instant the lighter flashed a spark to the moment the paper tube of tobacco burned out and started to melt the fiberglass within the cigarette’s filter, there must’ve been a thousand characters that acted their way across my view. Some sped by with cell phones stitched to their ears; others gawked and pointed me out to their collogues as they drifted past my gaze; but, most almost slithered by, mindlessly, zombie-like, entrenched in their fields of day-to-day, their bodies surviving but their souls suffocating.

I lifted myself from the stench of the Chase branch, and I pointed my index finger to the four-lane intersection at my twelve o’clock. I marched towards the neatly choreographed automobiles and crosswalks, and I made my way to the painting-like scene. I used parking meters as crutches and city mailboxes and rest stops. I found the crosswalk button and employed it. Noting the indicator to “Walk,” I stepped into the pedestrian way, and I froze. The cars, heading perpendicular to me, revved and lurched and sped through the intersection and far off into the great expanses, well away from D.C. and all her man-made madness. I FROZE.

I remembered Amanda and the smell of her neck; I remembered the sweetness of the lake house and the crickets that sang into the dimming New England light; I remembered frailty, defenselessness, and imperfection; and, as I flung my loosened tie into the busy roadway, I remembered the great wild ferns of the fields of my youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment