THE HIDDEN TRACK

The following passages are dedicated to Leopold, to the vernacular, to certain evil women (you know who you are), to certain wonderful people(they know who they are), to soft afternoons and quiet Sunday evenings, to Fall and seeing your breath for the first time since Spring, and to Isabelle Ya Feng ... a soul slipped by like two ships passing in the still, moonlit sea.
-- Abraham Ahmed, the Surfing Beatnik



The Painter and the Countess...

"I am a painter," I replied, "A painter-painter... dissimilar, of course, from, say, a painter who paints walls, fences, or buildings perhaps." I held my brush hand aloft and made as if I were outlining a portrait.

"Surely this not a fulltime occupation?" Inquired she, "A painter? This is not to speak ill of your apparent talents; rather, how does one sustain his or herself, a family aside, purely upon a painter's wages?"

"A fulltime painter, yes. Portraits to be precise. Nevertheless, I will confess there does exist a degree of uneasiness from time to time," I admitted, sensing her uncertainly, "... principally upon the ill-fated hours of minimal commissions."

"By your 'uneasiness' I must presuppose that you desire a profession or life of greater fiscal reward?" She asked. She dropped her head to one side with her eyes squinted toward me.

"Everything that I need to sustain myself I am able to gather by means of both the rather paltry revenues I generate as well as the limitless bounties offered from the soil, from experience-turned-knowledge-turned-wisdom, and from the assurance of imminent love."

"'Love'? And what does a man with whom possesses such a throng of 'limitless bounties' require from simple love?"

"Love is the anchor to which all living organisms cling to - meager painters included - in an effort to keep from drifting into certain despondency and bleakness. Love, too, is limitless; yet, love is often ensnared on some shoulder along the meandering pathways of existence. Still, I am unyielding in my traversing of such paths in hopes that a Countess should rest upon one such shoulder in expectancy.

"Even Countess, amid all her material wealth, is apt to throw chests of gold into the sea at the promises of a painted portrait by her suitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment